Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In Honor of My Birthday

Today is my 30th birthday.  And, it is birthday #1 without my best friend.  On some level, I found it poetic to wake up with a migraine and that it has rained all day.  To me, the rain is from my Mom.  She is very sad to not be here for my 30th birthday and knows that this has NOT been the birthday season of birthdays past.

Each year, I buy myself a little something for my birthday...or maybe a few little somethings.  But, this year, is different.  I did something much bigger and something that will bring a long lasting impact to both my life and the life of my community.

As of last Friday, the Proud Mary Foundation was established.  Yes, I started a Non Profit in honor of my Mom.  She and I both love helping others and making a difference in the lives of those whose circumstances are much worse than our own.  So, I felt it was only fitting to give back in honor of my 30th year.  The mission is to support causes that both she and I believe in.  As you can imagine, there will be donations made to organizations that support literacy, education, the Episcopal Church, and the good works of the University of Kansas Hospital.  Each year, a percentage of my salary will be dedicated to the Foundation and others will be able to donate as well.  

I know that she is proud of me and the woman I am becoming.  And, I know she thinks what I have done is fitting.  I will continue to help others in honor of her memory and in support of organizations she loved.  She will continue to make a difference with my help.

And, I will just tell you....I am going to have a lot of fun handing out those checks.

No comments:

Post a Comment