Thursday, September 30, 2010

Wow.

Had another wow moment this week.  Was chatting with someone online who recently lost one of their in-laws to cancer.  And, as we chatted, I offered my condolences (it is equally difficult for the spouse, but for different reasons).  And, as I normally do, I offered the share the name of a really good therapist, just in case.  Their response was that, 'they wouldn't need a therapist b/c they were strong.'  Um.  Wow. 


That comment was proof to me that this person has absolutely no flipping idea what is about to happen.  And, granted, maybe their situation was different.  However, thinking that 'being strong' gets you through grief on it's own is ridiculous. 

I fully understand that no one grieves the same way.  And, I also understand that some people have no idea of why a therapist would be a good idea.  And, I also know that some people just prefer to tough it out on their own.  

However, I cannot say that I didn't have a 'wow' moment when I read it.  Those of you that know me, know that I am 'strong' too.  But, I can tell you right now, I never would have gotten through it all on my own.  

I wouldn't say that the comment really surprised me...you hear enough stupid stuff out of people's mouths everyday.  However, the part that pissed me off about the comment was the implication that people that seek therapy are 'weak'.  No, those people are strong enough to admit they need help and are willing to find it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment